Sunday, June 29, 2014

Livin' Like Lutz and the Auburn Creed








Tonight, as a member of the Auburn family, I'm writing with a heavy heart. Auburn football player, family member, and inspiration, Philip Lutzenkirchen, tragically passed this morning. Prayers go out to his family and the families of the others involved in the accident.
In the wake of something like this happening, it never fails to amaze me to see the Auburn family (and fan bases of other SEC schools, including our biggest "rivals") come together in love and sorrow for such a saddening loss. One thing that I read today while reading through the tweets and posts about Lutzenkirchen has stuck with me as I've gone through my day: He lived the creed. Any Auburn alum (or anyone who sat through the "living the creed" session at CWE) here can tell you how important the creed is to the Auburn family. If you're not familiar with it, it says: I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work. I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God." And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it. - George Petrie
I have loved this creed since the first time I read the full thing over a year ago. I believe that it is what everyone, Auburn fan or not, should strive to live their life by. Until it gave it serious thought today, however, I did not know how much living the creed could show through your life and your actions. Anyone who is familiar with Lutzenkirchen's life knows that this man is someone to be inspired by. He worked hard, played hard, and gave everything that he had in everything that he did.He has left a legacy and inspiration behind him on this earth, despite tragically leaving us at such a young age. Even in my personal life, he's inspired me to live the creed and have the essence of being an Auburn woman shine through me. Lutzenkirchen, you will be greatly missed by the Auburn family. War Eagle and fly high.

No comments:

Post a Comment